Monday, March 29, 2010

DRAGONS!

I saw it twice this weekend. My friends Greg Hettinger and Liron Topaz work at Dreamworks and got me into a screening there. The movie raised the bar on everything. Including my hopes and dreams.

On Sunday, in Alhambra, there was a panel at a gallery whose speakers were the heads of different departments on Dragons. Simon Otto, Animation Head, Alessandro Cortini, Story Head, Pierre-Olivier Vincent, Art Director and Nicolas Marlet, Character designer. Needless to say, team Euro won at life with this movie. They showed clips, storyboards, designs, sequences, blocking and talked about the movie and making it. Super interesting stuff and just made me feel both excited that I work/want to work in this industry and so very young and unskilled when looking at these bad asses.

I sketched during the talk, Simon Otto was my favorite to draw because he was really just a rectangle with a gotee. Nicolas Marlet was kind of shy and in a corner so I felt like he wouldn't want someone to sketch him. I just did a circle with a hat and circles under its eyes. I think thats as much as I got to see from my seat without being obvious.

Here are some of my favorites.

When i just got there:


I didn't know how to spell Piere-Olivere Vincent so I left it blank...


Simon Otto came out more like my friend James Martinchek... Maybe not so easy to draw...


Alessandro was dreamy.


Piere-Olivere spoke with the best accent and he was so very sassy.


GO SEE DRAGONS!!

No comments: